Where Dreams Begin
Investing in your home has more return than just increased value.
Improving your daily routine adds years to your life.
1. Are you changing the footprint or size of the room? Moving fixtures around do add cost and time to your project.
2. The age of your home may signify plumbing updates that will be required. Homes built prior to 1970 may have materials not up to today's building code. Be prepared for repairs and replacement of water-damaged materials.
3. Choose your fixtures, whether you are going with a freestanding tub, custom shower, personal hygiene toilet, double sink vanity etc, these primary elements influence your bathroom design and materials needed to make your space last for years to come.
4. Finishes. Endless options of tile, shapes, sizes, textures and colours and material. Consider looking at some inspirational photos to find what you like and don't like to guide you through this process.
5. Budget. Bathrooms typically come in higher than expected. For a small space there is a lot of labour and skills needed. Plumbers, electricians, HVAC technicians, skilled trades are all needed in this small space. And be sure to include waterproofing materials into your budget. These materials can make your renovation last decades vs a few years.
Need to bring your bathroom into the 21st Century?
1. When planning a kitchen renovation and new appliances are part of the plan, select ALL your appliances first. Refrigerators, ranges, cooktop/wall ovens, microwaves, wine fridges, warming drawers, steam ovens, etc, impact the design significantly.
2. What type of kitchen do you need? Let me explain: do you bake a lot, cook from scratch, entertain regularly (pre-covid), have multiple cooks, have small children, and so on, each factor influences the needs of your kitchen and should include design features to fit the required functions. Some of these elements may also be an influence on certain styles and finishes.
3. Shopping habits. How often, sizes of the groceries you purchase on a regular basis, fresh produce, frequency, etc, require thoughtful storage solutions.4. Storage for countertop appliances. Do you like to keep your countertops clear? How many appliances do you have? Toaster, coffee pot, kettle, bread machine, rice cooker, blender, etc, the average household has 8 countertop appliances. Where are your appliances stored?
5. Budget. Whether this is a solid number or a guideline no one has unlimited funds to play with. Know how much you want to spend and then add 10% for homes built from 1980 forward and up to 25% for homes built prior to 1970 for potential unforeseen. If you would like more guidance please book a consultation, and/or pick up a copy of my book to help you start thinking about some of the important details.
Renovations can seem overwhelming with so many things to consider, my Inside Renovations book covers all these details and whether you want to work with a designer or not the book will answer many questions. (see link above)
Although this is just a small sample of the planning process this should give you a place to start when considering a major renovation.
Please feel free to use our contact form if you have further questions.
more and more research is pointing to the fact that architects, designers and contractors have more influence on your health and wellness than your doctor!
Take a deeper look at design influences and how to create your style in the kitchen
Wellness is THE fastest growing industry today! Wellness in the home is no exception especially as we are spending 90-95% of our days in-doors and for many that's AT-HOME. As more people work from home the importance of a healthy home takes on new meaning...
1. Treat your home as you would your retirement portfolio or pension plan. If you didn't continue to contribute to your investments they wouldn't grow in value very quickly. By doing upgrades to your home you are increasing the value of your...
Sign up to hear from us about specials, sales, and events.
Copyright © 2023 Detail by Design - All Rights Reserved.
Portfolio of Kitchen Design & Bathroom Design projects
Sign up today to be kept up-to-date with new blog posts, portfolio pics and so much more...